Adult Day School

Adult Day School allows you to earn high school credits to complete your graduation, upgrade marks or take courses needed for future employment or post-secondary.  There are no tuition fees and a new term starts every 9 weeks. Morning or afternoon classes are available and courses use a hybrid format (blend of face-to-face and online learning) allowing for flexible study options.  When enrolled in Adult Day School, you can have a Mature Student Evaluation or a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) done through the Guidance department.

Click here to learn about our credit programs and begin registration

We will reach out to you using the contact information you provided above to confirm registration.

If you have any questions, please contact us at or call 905-440-4539. 

DCE Program Guide Book
Program Guide Book
Course Information 

Term 1 course information

Dual Credit Programs
Leap to Durham College
Program Information
Pop Culture and the Media
Program Information

To be eligible, you must:

  • be an Ontario resident
  • be a Canadian citizen or Landed Immigrant (some exceptions apply for those on work or study permits)
  • not be attending a publically funded secondary school
  • be 21 years of age or older


  • be 18, 19 or 20 years of age and hold an Ontario Secondary School Diploma

Students who are 18, 19 or 20 years of age who do not meet the above requirements must first seek permission from Durham Alternative Secondary School (905-579-1990) prior to registering.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) 
How can I earn high school credits as an adult?
  1. Complete a Day School course. 
  2. Complete an eLearning course.  
  3. Complete a correspondence course.
  4. Attend a night school class.
  5. Complete a course through the North Credit program (for people who live in Beaverton, Cannington, Port Perry, Uxbridge and surrounding communities).  
  6. Complete a cooperative education course.
  7. Complete a summer school course.
  8. After completing 1 credit through any of Durham Continuing Education's programs, you can get a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) or a Mature Student Evaluation (MSE) done.
How do I juggle my personal responsibilities along with my school committments?

Many students have family, personal and/or work responsibilities outside of school. Durham Continuing Education offers many program alternatives to day school, including:

  1. eLearning
  2. Learn@Home correspondence courses
  3. Night School
  4. North Credit program (for residents of Beaverton, Cannington, Port Perry, Uxbridge and surrounding communities)
  5. Summer School

Students can enroll in a class that best fits their schedule. If you are a young parent collecting Ontario Works, you may qualify for a program called Learning Earning and Parenting (LEAP) which assists parents with school and parenting. Speak with your OW counsellor about possible options.

Many organizations assist students in their return to work, including Ontario WorksOntario Disability Support ProgramImmigration and Citizenship, and the John Howard Society. Contact a community agency that may be of assistance to you for more information.

How much does a course cost?
There are no fees for Day School courses.
I only have a few credits. Can I really get my diploma?

DCE offers Adult Upgrading courses for students to strengthen math and reading skills before entering credit courses.

Depending on how long you have been out of school, you may be eligible for Prior Learning and Assessment Recognition (PLAR) or a Mature Student Evaluation (MSE).

What job skills training programs are available? 

In addition to the regular credit programming, students can complete Pathways certificate programs. Pathways programs include classroom theory and cooperative education placements. Programs available include:

  1. Building Maintenance and Environmental Services
  2. Hospitality
  3. Logistics and Distribution
  4. Office Administration
  5. The Enterprising Employee
Program Location

E. A. Lovell ACEC - Map

120 Centre St. S.

Oshawa, ON

L1H 4A3


"The hybrid course I just finished, along with the one that I took last term, have better helped me understand how to use computers.  The option to use Office 365 has helped me because I do not have Microsoft Word at home.  I was able to work on things at home, including my ISU. I appreciate the option to do a hybrid course because a lot of people going to DCE have children that aren't quite in school yet, so the opportunity to stay home and work on homework is nice and it meant that I wasn't losing a day away from my studies."

Ashleigh Owen

What Do I Need to Bring to My Registration Appointment
  1. Proof of Canadian Citizenship (if you were born outside of Canada, please bring the original of one of the documents below):
    1. Canadian citizenship card
    2. Canadian Passport
    3. Permanent Visa
    4. Other Visa
    5. Student Visa
    6. Refugee Status
  2. Photo identification - Canadian Passport, Driver's Licence, Health Card

If you were born outside of Canada, we will require your place of birth and the date of your landing in Canada for registration. All ID must be in the same name. If you have changed your name you must provide legal proof of the name change.

It is recommended that you bring:

  • a high school transcript/consolidated school report or status sheet from your last secondary school
  • if you are preparing for post-secondary studies, you should bring a list of the pre-requisites for the program(s) you are hoping to work towards